Key Features: Sigma 12-24mm f4 ART DG HSM Lens
- Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system “A1”
- “Made in Japan” with the best craftsmanship
- SIGMA USB DOCK for SIGMA GLOBAL VISION lenses (optional)
- Incorporating Rounded Diaphragm
- Brass made bayonet mount
- Applicable for the Mount Conversion Service that enables lenses to be long term assets
Introducing the 3rd-Generation 12-24mm Zoom
The ultra-wide-angle zoom pioneer, SIGMA launched its first ultra-wide-angle zoom in 1979: the SIGMA ZOOM GAMMA 21-35mm F3.5-4. Since then, they have continued to develop ultra-wide-angle zoom lenses, always including their most advanced technologies. In 2003, they introduced the SIGMA 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG, the world’s first ultra-wide-angle zoom for DSLRs with full-frame sensors. In 2011, they offered the updated and upgraded version of that lens, the SIGMA 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM. This lens offered an angle of view even wider than that of human vision, allowing users to enjoy the ultra-wide-angle range with incredible perspective. Now, the 3rd-generation SIGMA 12-24mm F4 DG HSM | Art continues this tradition with image quality and ease of use both taken to another level.
Outstanding Image Quality
When it comes to ultra-wide-angle lenses, photographers require outstanding image quality from the center of the image to the edges without any distortion. Such performance is particularly valuable in architectural photography. The new SIGMA 12-24mm F4 DG HSM | Art leverages SIGMA’s accumulated expertise in the processing and manufacture of aspherical lenses and incorporates multiple aspherical lenses produced with precision glass moulding. The lens also features lens elements made with FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass, which is equivalent to fluorite in performance, and an optimized power distribution. Together, these features help minimize distortion, transverse chromatic aberration, and coma flare. As a result, image quality is outstanding across the image, all the way to the edges.
Featuring All of SIGMA’s Latest Technologies
- An 80mm Aspherical Lens—The Largest In This Lens Class:
The SIGMA 12-24mm F4 DG HSM | Art features ?80mm large-diameter moulded glass aspherical lens—the largest such element in this class of lens. This lens is highly effective in minimizing distortion, spherical aberration, and coma flare.
- F4 Brightness Throughout The Zoom Range:
With F4 throughout the zoom range, this lens is one stop brighter than conventional lenses. Photographers can now use a higher shutter speed that will crisply capture leaves fluttering in the breeze and other quick-moving subjects. A constant aperture during zooming also makes this lens exceptionally easy to use.
- Minimum Focusing Distance of 24cm:
Leveraging the incredibly broad perspective of an ultra-wide-angle lens, photographers can compose close-up shots with impressively expansive backgrounds.
- Newly Designed HSM for Nimble AF Control:
The newly designed Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) is large, offers 1.3 times the torque of its predecessor. Even at low speeds, it offers exceptionally stable performance.
- Dust- And Splash-Proof Construction:
The lens mount incorporates rubber sealing to protect the mount from dust and water drops. The front and rear lenses feature a water- and oil-repellent coating that is particularly useful when shooting in a drizzle, near ocean spray, and in a wide variety of other conditions.
- Art Line Delivers High-Level Artistic Expression:
SIGMA is organizing all its interchangeable lenses into three product lines: Contemporary, Art, and Sports, each with a distinctive concept. Designed with a focus on sophisticated optical performance and abundant expressive power, their Art line lenses deliver high-level artistic expression. Offering astonishing rendering performance that meets the highest standard, they are perfect for landscapes, portraits, still-lives, close-ups, and casual snaps. They are made for the kind of photography that unleashes the inner artist. A powerful ally in every genre of photography, SIGMA’s Art line lenses excel both in the studio for formal works and outdoors for impressive shots of architecture, starry skies, and many other scenes.
Setting New Benchmarks for Image Quality
- Compatible with Mount Converter MC-11:
Mount Converter MC-11 allows you to use your SIGMA SA mount and SIGMA EOS mount (Canon-compatible) interchangeable lenses with the Sony E-mount camera body. Owners of multiple camera systems can get even more out of their valuable lens assets, while Sony E-mount camera owners can enjoy the world of ultra-wide-angle zoom photography.
- Nikon Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism Included:
The lens for the Nikon camera includes the electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism and is able to receive the appropriate signals from the camera body. This feature ensures precision diaphragm control and stable Auto Exposure (AE) performance during continuous shooting.
- New Material TSC (Thermally Stable Composite):
To ensure precise operation, internal parts feature generous use of metal and Thermally Stable Composite (TSC),* which is highly compatible with metal parts.
* TSC offers thermal expansion characteristics similar to those of aluminum. Parts made with TSC deform less, making lens construction of extremely high precision possible. As compared to polycarbonate containing 20% glass, a commonly used material, TSC offers approximately 70% higher elasticity. As compared to polycarbonate containing 30% glass, it offers 25% higher elasticity. (Comparison is between SIGMA-produced components.)